Zowie, my 17-year-old daughter, has her own favorite turkey day leftover recipe. Today, after eating a full Thanksgiving meal at 4:00, she was ready to make her sandwich at about 7:00.
2 slices of bread
leftover mashed potatoes
- Shred some turkey.
- Place the turkey on a slice of bread.
- Spread mashed potato over the turkey.
- Add some shredded cheese.
- Put the prepared bread, as well as one slice of bread with nothing on it, on a baking sheet.
- Bake until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, put the topped bread on a plate.
- Pour some gravy on the topped bread.
- Add mayo to the plain bread.
- You can use any condiment that you like for step 9.
- Zowie eats this as a stand-alone lunch or dinner, but you could have vegetable side dishes with it.
- Mozzarella cheese is great to use, but it is okay to use other cheeses.
(Update January 2017: This sandwich has used other Thanksgiving leftovers over the years. Also, It can’t really be called healthy. But I want to leave it here as it is an important family memory, and Thanksgiving leftover sandwiches can be quite delicious. Try one sometime. Tell me what you think.)