We love pumpkin pie during the autumn and winter holidays and sabbats. They smell delicious while baking and cooling, and are very tasty. This recipe makes two pies. For one pie, simply halve the ingredients.
(Update 2017) This is another family favorite that I’m leaving on the site, at least until I can come up with a healthier version.
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 2 teaspoons
2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
1 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
3 unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425*. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, then add the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Place the pie shells into pie baking dishes, and crimp the edges in a decorative fashion. A fork makes this easy. Cut leaf shapes from the excess dough and reserve.
- Sprinkle each crust with a teaspoon of sugar, then pour the pie filling into it.
- Cut a few leaf shapes out of the 3rd crust with cookie cutters, and place them pleasingly over the top of the pumpkin pies.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350* and place pies within. Bake 40 to 60 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center.
- Purchase all items on sale, if possible. Store brand items work just as well as any other. This will help you save money.
- Use mini cookie cutters to create the dough leaves.
- Use pumpkin or acorn cutters to cut dough shapes with instead.
- Serve cool with a dollop of whipped topping.
- Serve warm with a scoop of french vanilla ice cream.