By not having to purchase canned stocks, you will save money on your grocery bill. This stock is made the same as the Chicken Stock was made. The bone of the roast is used after it has been roasted, and most of the meat removed. It is fine to leave small pieces of meat on the bone.
The finished product may be frozen in ice cube trays, and then placed in freezer container and put back into the freezer. Use ice cubes in place of some of the water when cooking rice, or even when making casseroles.
You might choose to pour the liquid directly into the containers and freeze like that. This can later be used when cooking soups and stews.
The process is simple, but will take some time. This is perfect to make when you will be home for a number of hours.
- Place the bone into a large pot.
- Feel free, at this point, to add any vegetable odds and ends to the pot, as well as herbs. This step is NOT necessary. I use peels and ends that I normally would discard.
- Fill the pot about 2/3 of the way with water.
- Cook down to about half the liquid.
- Discard the bone.
- Reconstitute the liquid by half and cool.
That’s it! A simple task that does not take much hands on time.