There’s nothing better than fresh produce and herbs from your garden. If you do not grow your own, the grocery store carries everything you’ll need, as does the Farmer’s Market. Many things can also be found at roadside stands, usually quite affordably.
Salads are a great way to highlight fresh produce, and can serve as a stand-alone snack or a nice side to any lunch or dinner.
- Wash the fresh produce and dry on a towel. Rinse the mint and pat dry with another towel.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, and place them in a medium size bowl.
- Cut the ends off the zucchini and the cucumber and discard. Cut these vegetable into bite-size chunks. Add to the bowl.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Chop some mint and sprinkle over the other ingredients.
- Mix all gently.
- The cheapest way to make this is by growing your own herbs and vegetables.
- Save more money by shopping around for what you have to buy. Where is the most affordable place to purchase fresh produce in your area?
- Serve with a slow cooker meal made with root vegetables and a cheap cut of meat.