Not only is grocery shopping for 1 different than doing so for many, but cooking for 1 can be as well. When I started cooking for myself, I was used to doing so for more people. My two daughters. Their friends. The daycare children who came into my home. There was a lot of cooking going on.
I remember going to the grocery store with my mother, standing there saying “I have no idea what I want to buy?” She told me to think about what I like. What I want. To never mind what I would make if the girls were home. It took me over a month to even feel good about the process.
Things are different now.
- There’s not nearly as much cooking going on.
- I know what I want when I go into the store, and I usually have enough on hand that I can change my mind (if I want) when it comes time to making a meal. There is a certain amount of freedom to that.
- During very lean weeks I spend a bit less on food than I did when I was cooking for more than one, but not a whole lot because the cost of food has gone up a bit over the last few years. (During the not so lean weeks, I eat a more Paleo diet that costs more. For health reasons.)
- Prep time is faster than it used to be for most recipes, saving me time. Always a plus.
- If I have leftovers, they go into the refrigerator and I warm them up for my next meal. Quick and easy. But I can generally judge how much to cook so I don’t have leftovers if I wont be around to eat them or I know I will not want to eat the same meal again within a couple of days.
- The food I need to buy for a week takes up much less space.
- And I have a dorm size refrigerator in the room that I rent; is perfect for my needs.
- I can now cook what I want, when I want. I don’t have to cater to anyone’s preferences except my own. Nobody’s desires. Just mine. If I want the same thing for dinner three nights a week, I can have it. If I want to change my mind about what I want to make for lunch, I do. It is a good thing 🙂
Getting used to these changes was difficult, happening gradually. But I’m pleased I have come through the changes just fine. You will as well 🙂
Have you gone through this process yourself? Let us know how it went for you. Offer up tips in the comments section for this post, or email me personally at email@example.com.
You may be interested in the eCookBook Main Meal Magic.