What would a Fourth of July celebration be without a food representation of the US flag? This simple platter is placed out at the beginning of the party or picnic, for everyone to snack on until the main foods are brought out.
You are simply going to fill a rectangular food platter with red, white, and blue foods, in such a way that finished platter resembles the US flag.
1 pint blueberries
1 pound strawberries
2 pints raspberries, or another red berry
cheese cubes, enough to fill white lines – mozzarella/provolone/another type
- Cut the watermelon into slices. Chop into (about) 1 inch squares
- Rinse the berries, and use a towel to gently pat them dry.
- Hull the strawberries, and cut them in half.
- Place the blueberries into a square, white bowl, just big enough to hold them. Put this bowl in the upper left corner of the platter.
- Cut a few cheese cubes into quarters, to place on the berries to act as ‘stars’.
- Beginning next to the bowl, at the top of the platter, you are going to add lines – red and white stripes. Start with a line of watermelon for red, then a line of cheese cubes. End with a line of watermelon for red, and a line of cheese cubes above that. In between, use the strawberries as red lines, raspberries as red lines, and watermelon if you need to. Do these separately, so only one type of fruit is in each line. (The order does not really matter.) The white lines will all be cheese cubes.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Place on a table and let everyone enjoy while hanging out.
- Cut expenses where possible. Look for coupons on cheese. If you notice a sale, most cheeses freeze. A sale combined with coupons will save a lot of money. Some fruits, such as watermelon, can also be bought when on sale and frozen.
You may also be interested in
Enjoy the holiday weekend!