In trying to come up with some easy patriotic recipes, I find myself concentrating a lot on berries because of their brightness of color.
Fresh, they are the tastiest fruits to use. Try picking them on your own for the most affordable way to get them. Growing them is easy, or you can find them out in the wild. Picking them at farms is another way to go, though this time of the year (end of June) you may find they are just as affordable in the store.
This is a simple way to use berries. Find clear bowls, or even clear sundae cups (coupled with real tea spoons!), to chill and serve these in.
1 pint blueberries
1/2 to 1 pint strawberries
a fresh mint for each bowl or cup for garnish, + extra for chopping
coconut cream concentrate
1 tsp or more pure vanilla
- Rinse the berries, and blot dry carefully with a clean towel.
- Hull and slice the strawberries, and add them to a bowl with the blueberries.
- Rinse the sprigs of mint as well, again blotting dry with a towel.
- Peel the leaves of mint from a sprig, and chop roughly. Add this to the berries.
- In a separate bowl, combine coconut cream and vanilla, whisking or beating for a couple of minutes to combine well.
- Fold the cream into the bowl of berries and mint, carefully mixing until coated. Start with half the cream, then add more if needed. A light coating is all that is necessary.
- Spoon the berry mixture into clear bowls or cups, and add a sprig of mint to each.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Try different berry combinations. Use whatever is in season.
- See if you can stock up on cream and vanilla while on sale, and look for coupons to save money.
You may also enjoy these patriotic holiday recipes
Have a happy Fourth of July!!!