This is the easiest soup ever, and is made when I am low on food and funds during a given week.
1 pre-cooked roaster chicken, on the bone, with the skin on, remove the string holding the legs together.
- Place a pre-roasted chicken in the slow cooker, and cover with water.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours or high 2 or 3 hours. (Feel free to cook longer if you have the time.)
- Let cool so you can handle to bird.
- Strain the stock into canning jars leaving an inch of head space, cover, and store in the refrigerator. If the liquid wont be used right off, freeze it. This can also be done right in the canning jars.
- Pick as much meat from the bird as you can, freezing what you wont use right away.
chicken in the pot from above
- Remove the meat pieces from the crock and place them into a pot.
- Cover the chicken with liquid from the crock.
- Cover and cook on medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, adding the seasonings to taste toward the end.
- While this is cooking, fill canning jars with the remaining liquid from the crock – leaving some space at the top of each jar. Cool for a bit, cover, and freeze what you wont use this week. Refrigerate the rest.
- Discard the carcass and the skin.
- Spoon some into a bowl, reserving the rest for later.
- This can be done in a large pot if a slow cooker is not available.
- Experiment with different seasonings.
- Grow your own herbs to save money.
- Serve with a side salad of greens, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, and shredded zucchini.
- Serve with a vegetarian sandwich on Paleo bread.