In a post I made last week, I explained what I used to think healthy eating was. But I’ve learned how wrong I was.
Everyone is different. Each person’s body reacts to foods in its own way. Mine seemingly does not like for me to consume certain things, at least not all the time. So I’ve cut out certain things, for the most part, including cow’s milk and yogurt, grains, and a slew of other things.
Now, I’m not perfect, and I do have these things on occasion. Unfortunately, I’m unable to afford to eat the way I should all the time, but I do the best I can. During a good week, I’ll eat a 90% Paleo diet, which works well for me. When I can afford to do this regularly:
- I lose weight.
- My skin looks great.
- My hair is softer and seems fuller.
- My gut is healthier.
- My asthma is just about non-existent.
- My gums are healthier.
- And a number of other great benefits.
As a matter-of-fact, by the time I was almost done with the Whole 30 plan, I could sleep through the night. I hadn’t done that anywhere near consistently in so many years, and I’m still sleeping great. What a relief!
So, what does healthy eating look like for me?
- Breakfast is pretty much like any other meal.
- Each meal includes a protein, with a variety of vegetables and/fruit, and a healthy fat.
- Snacks, though smaller than meals, ideally include a small amount of protein, a healthy fat, and a fruit or vegetable as well. I don’t eat snacks every day.
- The beverages I drink are mainly plain water, fruit water, teas with nothing added, the occasional Paleo chai tea or hot chocolate, and almond, coconut, and cashew milks. I do make my own Paleo smoothies as well.
- For treats, I like to melt chocolate chips and stir in any combination of unsweetened organic coconut flakes, almond slivers, dried berries or other fruit, and/or sunflower seeds.
- I do, sometimes, bake Paleo breads, tortillas, and other items, but I don’t have these times of things every day or week.
- I also try to buy what I can organic, but cannot afford a completely organic diet.
I simply do the best I can.
What is healthy for you? Given that each person is different, not all diets or healthy eating lifestyles will work for all people. What have you learned about your body and what it needs? Please share with us in the comments below, or email me at email@example.com. I always reply.