The finished product may be frozen in ice cube trays, and then placed in freezer container and put back into the freezer. Use ice cubes in place of some of the water when cooking rice or pasta, or even casseroles. You can also freeze enough for soups in containers.
The process is simple, but will take some time. This is perfect to make when you will be home for a number of hours.
- Place the bones and skin into a large pot.
- Add any vegetable odds and ends to the pot.
- Fill the pot about 2/3 of the way with water.
- Cook down to about half the liquid.
- Strain the liquid.
- Discard the bones. (I used to give the skin and little pieces of meat to my cats. You can discard these as well.)
- Compost the vegetable ends.
- Reconstitute the liquid by 2/3 to 1/2 and cool.
That’s it! A simple task that does not take much hands on time.