Smoothies are a great way to use up small bits of food. The other day I wanted to make Apple-Maple Syrup, but I didn’t want the apple peel to go to waste so I used it to make a smoothie. I also had a little cucumber and raw broccoli left over from previous meals.
peel from 1 apple
2 small pieces of broccoli
small handful of raw, frozen spinach
3 slices of cucumber
1 tablespoon protein powder
chocolate almond milk
- Put the apple peel, cucumber, broccoli, and spinach into the blender.
- pour some chocolate almond milk over the foods, and pulse until everything is broken up.
- Add the other ingredients, and more milk if necessary.
- Blend until well mixed.
- Using odds-and-ends of vegetables in smoothies does not really change the taste much, and it means you’re not wasting perfectly good food. It also adds extra nutrients.
- Serve this smoothie with Apple-Almond Pancakes and Apple-Maple Syrup.