Have I mentioned yet that I love autumn? It is my favorite season. The colors. The scents. The feel of the air as the season changes. The foods and beverages. The trips to the orchard. I love it all.
With the cooler temperatures comes a desire for heartier foods; and to cook more. I decided to make my first chili of the year yesterday, and had a nice big bowl of it last night. For lunch today, I made these nachos. I don’t eat these often, because they aren’t exactly healthy, but I do like them for the occasional snack. I want to note that I have seriously cut back on cheese, so that I hardly ever eat it. And this recipe only has about half the cheese I would have used in years passed. It still tastes good.
shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Line a baking sheet with tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese over the chips so there is a little on each.
- Put a small dab of chili on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle just a little more cheese over the top, and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake at 350* for a few minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle shredded spinach over the top.
- Try different types of cheeses. I think mild cheddar goes well with spicy foods, but you may like something else.
- Buy store brands. It will taste the same and save you money.
- Use organic products when possible.
- Make a small plate of these to serve alongside tomato soup.