Part of kitchen wizardry is decorating the table, especially at holidays and sabbats. Napkin rings allow you to add a little extra flair to the table. Different types of greenery and spices make decorating for Yule a simple, fragrant task. You can make these with real greenery to use once, or make them to last with fake greenery. For a non-wasteful sabbat, use fake greenery and store the napkin rings carefully after the sabbat is over. If you celebrate Christmas as well, as we do in our home, you can use these twice each year.
You will need:
(Materials for each napkin ring.)
2 cinnamon sticks
holly with berries
- Glue the holly leaves into a ring with a diameter between 1 and 1/2 inches. Be sure there are some berries on each ring.
- Glue 2 cinnamon sticks together under the greenery, so they form two straight sticks together or an X.
- OR place them over the greenery and glue the red berries to the center.
- Try different types of greenery.
- Tie a ribbon around the cinnamon sticks.
- Let older children, who can handle a glue gun, help with this project.
Placemats add a decorative touch to any holiday table, as well as to every day settings. They can be made or decorated with minimal effort and time, and will add a certain charm to the decor. These can be created with pre-made placemats, if desired, making it an even easier project.
placemats, premade or homemade (Choose an off white color.)
fabric paints: orange, and green or brown for the stem
2 paint brushes
- Wash and dry the placemats. Iron if needed.
- Put paints on parchment paper squares.
- Use the stencil to paint the pumpkin onto the placemat.
- Allow to dry thoroughly before using.
- It is okay to use more than 1 size pumpkin stencil per placemat, to create a pumpkin patch, pumpkin grouping, or whatever you desire.
- You could use different shades of the same color paints on the mats.
- Get creative: Outline the placemats with another autumn color paint, create a grouping of mini pumpkins placed to the side of a tree, etc.
- Use these placemats for every day table settings, or for holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving.
- These can also be used for Samhain.
- Use cotton fabric.
- This craft is easy for children to help with.
Share your pumpkin crafts with us in the comments.