Garland in the length you need (can be real or fake, but greenery is the proper choice) (Tipping is illegal in some areas.)
Hot glue gun
String of holiday lights, white or colored
Cinnamon sticks tied into bunches
1 or 2 lemons
1 or 2 limes
1 or 2 oranges
1 or 2 apples
Thread or thin string
- Before putting together the garland, you will have to dry the fruits. The drying process may take a few days. Begin by slicing the fruits. String these with a needle and string of choice, and hang from the ceiling or along a wall to dry. Spread them out so that the fruits are not touching each other. I would string them from their centers. Be careful not to let the string cut through the slices of fruit.
- Wrap the lights around the greenery, positioning the garland along the back of the mantle so the plug is near an outlet. Putting the garland in place now lets you see where you want to glue the fruit and other items to the garland.
- Glue the fruit, in bunches of 1 slice of each type, here and there along the garland, without getting glue on the lights or cord. Do not pile the fruit slices, but overlap them some in groups.
- Glue cinnamon sticks to the garland.
- Glue red berries to the garland.
Greenery, thinner than that used for the garland, to use as a wreath to go around the bottom of the candle sticks
Candle stick holders
- Place the candle sticks to the center of the mantle.
- Make a wreath that will wrap around the bottom of the candle stick, using the greenery and berries.
- Place taper candles in the candle sticks.
Fruit Baskets or Bowls
2 matching baskets with handles that will fit on the space available on the mantle
An assortment of fresh citrus fruits
Fabric wide enough to hang out over the sides of the baskets some, to use as a liner
Thin greenery strips
- Glue the greenery strips around the handle of each basket.
- Glue berries here and there along the greenery.
- Glue cinnamon sticks where the handles meet the baskets.
- Place the fabric liners in the baskets, so that the edges hang out over the baskets.
- Put the fruits in the baskets, and place one basket at either end of the mantle.
2 decorative plates or bowls, small to medium in size depending on how much space you have between the candles and the fruit baskets on the mantle.
Cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
Dried lemon peel
Dried lime peel
Dried orange peel
- Place the bowls on the mantle, centered between the fruit baskets and the candle sticks on either side.
- Place the potpourri ingredients in the bowls.
How do you decorate your mantle using food items? Let us know in the comments for this post.